Monday, November 23, 2015

'Windy, windy is the stuff of stones...'*

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

The weather has finally made it to Preveza from the Peristeri... down from heights that are just a few kilometers north of here, but many, many meters UP!  Friday and Saturday suggested its power; and last night I saw my first thunderstorm on the mountain.

Since I am apprised that this weather will persist through the week (and ensure my hermitage), I launched myself into a short walk this morning, feeling how *crisp* water can be when pulled into these forms.

Even as I write, the brief clearing is gone and a lacy fog has drifted into my garden.  The Gods are curious - well, we are curious about each other.  One of Their emissaries blasted through a main window last night, setting a small hurricane loose in the house.

As water poured through the windows, I climbed into my son's leather coat to venture outdoors and close the shutters.  Despite the turbulence, I was surprised by the warmth of these winds -- anemos in Greek.  They may have come from the north, but were altogether chthonos, born from caves and riverbeds.  Once I figured out their provenance (the Powers are either olympian or titanic all up in here, and woe to the human who cannot tell the difference), I gently praised them back to what we call the 'out-of-doors.'

(As 'in-of-doors' is ever only temporary in this part of the world.)

 Zöés Thea.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞


* The post title is a riff on Richard Wilbur's poem "Epistemology."  (Look it up, lazyboy...)

No comments:

Post a Comment