Saturday, November 21, 2015

Rainways...

I have been in this little house on the mountain for 20 days now;  that is, two of my 10-day weeks (1). The first wave was a little more social than I was expecting - people from the settlement below (too small to call a village) were intensely curious about this 'Amerikani' and couldn't resist showing up, unannounced, the first few days.

I wasn't as surly as I could have been.  Really.  But by the end of the first week, traffic dwindled to an occasional sheep-drive-by, with their throaty little bells.   Perfect.

The second decajour saw my first visit to the real village - about 18 kms down the mountain.  There is only one bus a day out of this area - and getting to it involves a three-kilometer walk in the mornings before dawn, interfering with my current ~cough~ 'lifestyle.'   Which is to remain unconscious for as long as possible each morning.  

Why?  Because I wake up to this:  "Oh.  Quentin is dead.  No, wait.  That can't be right..."  I squeeze my pituitary for another amber drop of soporismo, but a few minutes later the truth of it comes rolling through. "Quentin AND Sarah... " There, in the chiaroscuro of my sleepstyle, young master Chevy Chase is reading from a news desk on the set of SNL, "I repeat, Quentin and Sarah are still dead."

Fuck.  Fuck, I say.  Back to sleep.

~~~

A taxi ride up and down the mountain costs about the same as renting a car for a day, so a few days ago I decided to pick one up from a small town about 40 kms from here.  My goals were to visit a sanctuary near Ioannina,  and round up provisions for a two-week hermitage with The Writing.

Goddess he'p me but I am an American.  As soon as I was behind the wheel of that little Nissan, my entire demeanor changed.  I suppose this has something to do with the way Americans interpret the word 'freedom,' and how that is expressed in velocity.   Velocity and wanderlust:  besides worshipping sleep, in this season of grief and sudden grace I revere not-knowing.  Not knowing the human sounds (a.k.a. language) surrounding me, not knowing how capital flows into my world, not knowing who I will kiss this week or next;  and best of all, not knowing whether I've taken the high short road, or the long low one ... until I've arrived.

I returned the car yesterday - glancing North to a few clouds, I threw my umbrella into the bag as an afterthought.   No need, the first drops came a couple of hours after I got home.   Now, on the last day of Scorpio, we have a soft, meditative drizzle - the rain not falling so much as wheeling in, windlessly.

~~~

This week seemed especially rough on my people back in the States -- as Paris went briefly under siege on a signal day - Friday the 13th.   Venus'day and Her lunar count - we did not miss the implications.   Three of my younger friends spun out pretty hard, a dear one who supported last year's journey to Cyprus is wrangling a stalker, and other darlings are breastdeep in a feeling of indefinable malaise, or are grimcheerfully swinging from their rosaries, mantra volume up to 10.





This transformational scheiss is not for the lily of liver, I tell you.

~~~

It being November, my own emotional and spiritual tasks have been typically Scorpionic: what/how/when am I feeling?  Mourning my children alternates with a kind of happiness that seems to have no sugarburn to it, no ache that comes with the secret story of our transience.   Not to suggest that I am in a two-colored rainbow; this week, others' suffering has dislodged another layer of my own - probably biological at its root.   So now I learn to distinguish grief from the vespers of a sinking thyroid (2).

    
The trip to the sanctuary also brought some new information I am still processing.  The effable story is that last year's hero-dog, Hector, died two months ago - but I was accompanied by his daughters during my overnight at the temnos.     And having left my little offering, there is a new layer in the emotional body - a form of postpartum elation tinged with sadness.

Like giving birth, one is no longer 'inhabited' - but there is something new in the Time stream; its qualities and effects still enfolded, tight as a morning glory.  

Not-knowing doesn't mean ignorance or foolery, it means not-knowing-yet.

And that is precious - possibly even sacred.

I just don't know... yet.
***
**
*


1. A measure which seems to be slow in catching on, despite clear evidence of eight other planets, a Moon and a Sun. 
2. Not to worry.  I have requested an herb that brought the matter to heel last year, and it will be here in 10 days or so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment