Monday, April 3, 2017

Tiny Tubs and Sausage Situations

Last week's Mondaypost went missing as the Goddessdaughter and I were frantically preparing to head for Athens.   The four days we spent in Attika was something of a wash for me; I may report on the grossness later, or I may leave it to sleep with the fishies.   But Hannah seemed to be having a good time and made lots of new friends.   As usual.  

Returning to Epirus was divine, as always, but I was too busy watergazing from the bus window to take any photos. I do wish you could have seen the sun slipping down behind the mountains to echo light across the bay of Corinth.   The sea was perfectly stippled with the most gorgeous pink/blue/silver meld, a color I've only seen fleetingly on rainbow trout as they flashed away from the nets.

Once I figure out how to write in it,
this may turn out to be my office.  
We are now back in Northern Greece, and settling in for a sweet visit.

The apartment here is small, but super-cute; we went to this area's IKEA last week, and upon arriving to the studio, realized it is basically an Ikea showroom, complete with Klimt prints and what would have been a Lisa-approved salmon-colored accent wall. But the best of our über-tiny studio is the bathroom's doll-tub. I couldn't find anything to show the scale, but trust me when I say it is rather womblike.  Or maybe a birth canal, being narrow AND deep.

Last night we wandered out to eat, found ourselves at a restaurant fairly removed from the tourist path.   I do my best *not* to be an Asshole American (though my native Texanity does pose an extra challenge), but the menu of this place earned some laughter at Greek expense.

First, the dinner page which leads with "Frying Chicken."  Foghorn Leghorn flashes before my mind's eye, hunched over the fryer with a basketful of human fingers.

Then another look reveals the Frying Chicken is served with what?  estragon.  But in the interest of gender balance, further down the page we have 'Sausage Situation' -- though confusingly, it is not served with 'rise.'







By this time, I have given up any mask of decorum. Hannah is shooshing me, I am snorting shamelessly behind the menu,  but then we turn the page...














. . .  to the housewares section?   No wait, that 'LAMP' is LAMB... Lamb LEAVERS & TONGUES.  Or livers. And tongues.  Talk about* your Silence of the Lambs.

(*go ahead, I'll wait here...)




Finally,  someone must have spent a day or two at le Cordon Bleu because now we move on to Coq au Vin, but translated for Yankee Brits  as ::

And yes, that unfortunate entrée above it is Stuffed Bunny (or Stiffed, if you please).

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Today we had a small wave of Weather, temperatures dropping into the Threes.   I took a walk in the late afternoon, as the sky was clearing.  Here are a few images:
First greengold light through a silvery afternoon...

 "Main" street, with mountain guardians. 


Personal Protection.  

Greekffiti (note the "no parking" OVER the tag).  






No comments:

Post a Comment