Saturday, October 31, 2015

Introducing Easter(wood) Everywhere

Since I am traveling more than actually writing,  it seemed high time to divert some attention away from "For Writing Out Loud" and back to EE.  I thought I was in transit last time I penned a blog under this banner... but had NO idea how much travel was ahead of me, or that the reasons would be so compelling.

Some of the impulse seems to be astrological (hey, I heard that . . .).  I won't belabor this overmuch, but listen: I have had Uranus (Mr. Surprise) in my 4th House (home/grounding/sense-of-belonging) since 2010. Repeated shocks to my home-front for the last 4 years have finally convinced me to put wheels on my baggage and just roll with it.

So this week I am in Athens (Greece, not Georgia), after an 8-month stint as houseguest/pest in Austin, Texas.  Almost six months of 2014/15 was spent in Greece and Cyprus.  And a scant year before that I was in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  See?  Bouncy-bouncy.

~~

Today was the Full Moon, and although I had some ambition to be in Eleusis, it didn't quite work out.  I found myself walking through a Syrian encampment at Victoria Square, watching the Athenian police - tricked out in riot gear, but seemingly relaxed... playing cards, joking with the 'immigrants,' strolling between exhausted travelers with no sign of hostility.

I did make it as far as a piece of the Way near another Metro stop.   The escalators were full of
people, I chose to climb the stairs - which meant I had them to myself.  The tears began as I set my foot on the first step of the ascent. I was a bit surprised; though I have a deep sense of the Sacred Way, this wash of emotion seemed to come from nowhere, allwhere.   This soft weeping continued till I came up to the actual dig, which was surrounded by a plexiglass fence.  I looked at my phone - exactly 2 p.m. - full moon.   I created a small altar from my wedding rebozo and Quentin and Sarah's ashes, then kicked off my shoes and raised my palms to stand in prayer facing North.

After a few minutes, my hands lowered, sealing something into the ground.  Then I opened the water bottle and ambulated the little roomful of road, spilling water at the points of the compass.  It was an humble enough offering, but the lovingkindness that washed back over me was ... indescribable.

~~~

Last year, when I was in Cyprus, I found the Hammam --the Turkish bath--  in Nicosia, but couldn't afford to go when Quentin got sick.  I sent all of my spare cash back to Austin in the form of a Wheatsville card - urging him to get the nutrients necessary to ward off what seemed to be a bad cold.

(Of course it turned out to be something quite different than a 'cold.')

Today, as I was leaving the Way, I walked right up to this.  Or I was walked right over to it.

My appointment is Thursday afternoon.   Water given, water received.
   ζωές θεά

                



No comments:

Post a Comment